W.W. Kettlewell, Harptree Court
Spink & Son
Bought by a descendant of Sir John Everett Millais, Bt., P.R.A.
Private Collection, UK, since 1970
W.W. Kettlewell who lived at Harptree Court, a handsome Georgian house built in 1797 and set in the Chew Valley near Bristol, was a friend and patron of Edward Lear. The inscription on the reverse by Lear indicates that this picture was specially commissioned by Kettlewell. A presentation copy of Journal of a Landscape Painter in Corsica (sold Christie’s New York, 16 December, 2004, lot 568) is inscribed on half-title page ‘W.W. Kettlewell from Edward Lear Villa Tennyson, San Remo April 23 1884’.
A note, written by Kettlewell’s son, comments that Lear met his parents at San Remo 1881 – 1884. Lear described Ravenna as ‘the world of Pines. This world is really lovely…the glades & green, & the underworld of bright foliage – makes the whole scene enchanting.’ Lear visited northern Italy after his return from Egypt and before returning to England in June 1867.